To have php run on GAE you need Quercus, though the name appears some difficult the process is much simple than expected, you just need to add few jar files change some settings and thats it..you will have your php code running on google app engine
The biggest problem during the whole process is to get the exact jar files
Google helped me find a SVN repo out there that had the 3 jars I needed, and after loading them into the correct folder. Eclipse stopped throwing errors. If you’re looking for the files I used, you can find them here:http://lportal.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lportal/portal/trunk/lib/development/. I determined that quercus.jar, resin_util.jar, and script-10.jar were needed for Quercus to do its thing correctly… at least that’s what I think. Drop them in the WEB_INF/lib folder and you should be all set.
Now the actual process starts.
Step -1 Edit Web.xml file to have following lines of code
I don’t know if any order is important here, but I put the php servlet first, followed by the default servlet, followed by the php servlet-mapping, followed by the default servlet-mapping.
Next on the list is appengine-web.xml. Add the following code right after closing of system-properties tag
<exclude path="/*.php" />
<include path="/**.php" />
Next to create one php.ini file in war/WEB-INF folder. Currently i kept it blank.
Now the final step is to create some php files to check. I created simple file that echo phpinfo to check php running fine at location war/index.php
Initially when I tested this out I was getting a strange error about org.mortbay.util.ajax.Continuation not found. I don’t know what that is, but its included in the jetty-util-6.1.0.jar file, which I found here. I’m unsure if this is specific to the development platform or required by Quercus
Now that’s it I included that jar and my php started working on local instance of GAE application
I deployed on app engine, and there too it started smoothly.
Github Hosted Project